Lucy

Lucy

UPDATE:  On behalf of Frankie’s Friends, thank you for your support of pets in need, and more specifically the cat who's lived you helped to save, Lucy. 

We have great news to share with you... Because of your kindness, Lucy was able to receive the treatment she needed for smoke inhalation and eye ulcers as a result of the devastating fire. Lucy not only survived the fire but she recovered so fast from her treatments that she was able to go home the next day with her very grateful owner. 

When we spoke with Lucy's mom, Jenny,  to tell her that our incredible donors had contributed to Frankie's Friends to pay for Lucy’s treatment, she was genuinely appreciative and amazed for the generosity of strangers who wanted to help her.  It was one less thing for her to worry about after the heartbreaking loss of her home.  She spoke of her gratitude for her experience with Frankie’s Friends and for your support, which saved her beloved Lucy.  

With your help we raised over $7,000.00, above and beyond the cost of her care and as a result were able to help save other pets in need. All of us at Frankie’s Friends thank you for allowing us to help Lucy and other pet owners in need. It’s because of YOU that we are able to save these precious lives and reunite these adoring pets with their grateful families.  Thank you!


ATLANTA – A 6-year-old cat is being treated for smoke inhalation at BluePearl Veterinary Partners hospital after she was rescued from a burning Lawrenceville home, and a national pet charity is stepping in to raise money for her care.

The cat, named Lucy, is gradually improving after receiving emergency oxygen for the past 24 hours, said Dr. Kenneth Brand, an emergency clinician with BluePearl. She’s also being treated for ulcers on her eyes caused by the heat of the fire, he said.

Lucy had a body temperature of just 91 degrees when she arrived at BluePearl – the result of shock and being sprayed by water used to fight the fire, Brand said. A cat’s normal temperature is between 99.5 and 102.5 degrees.

 Lucy

Lucy

“The family did the right thing by seeking immediate veterinary care for Lucy,” Brand said. “In smoke inhalation cases, every second counts. The faster we can begin treatment, the better chance we have for a good outcome.”

The family lost everything in the blaze in the 2200 block of Deans Landing Drive. According to news reports, the fire began in the engine compartment of an SUV in the home’s driveway. The flames quickly spread to the house, leaving four people homeless and another cat dead, the report said.   

 To help the family, national pet charity Frankie’s Friends is launching a fundraising campaign to pay for the cost of Lucy’s care, estimated at about $3,000. Those interested in contributing are encouraged to click here.

“Our hearts go out to Lucy’s family,” said Danielle Martin, executive director of Frankie’s Friends. “We’re happy to do everything we can to ensure they have one less thing to worry about at this difficult time.”

Comment